Monday 16 August 2010

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

I've just got back from seeing this film, and whilst it's the best version I've seen (well you can't get much worse than that awful mouse), it's good but not brilliant.


==Synopsis ==


Morgana has destroyed Merlin, and now threatens the world. Balthazar and Veronica are the only two of Merlin's apprentices left to fight the battle, since Horvath has turned tail and moved over to the dark side. Veronica draws Morgana's life force into her body, and Balthazar manages to trap them both in to a Grimhold. Morgana will always be a threat until the Prime Merlinian can be found.


Fast forward more than a thousand years, and a 10 year Dave stumbles into an antique shop. Coincidentally the shop is owned by Balthazar, who recognises Dave's potential. Sure enough Merlin's ring comes to life as it's placed on Dave's hand. Balthazar has finally found his apprentice, but Dave accidentally unleases Horvath back into the world, meaning it's another 10 years until his training begins.


==Cast ==


Nicolas Cage as Balthazar Blake
Jay Baruchel as David Stutler
Jake Cherry as Young David Stutler
Alfred Molina as Maxim Horvath
Alice Krige as Morgana le Fay:
James A. Stephens as Merlin
Monica Bellucci as Veronica
Teresa Palmer as Becky Barnes


== My Thoughts ==


I enjoyed the film and there were a lot of great effects, they even managed to get in the Mickey Mouse dancing mops and the tune that went with it. It's definitely a kids film though, there are far too many plot holes for the average adult. As seems to be standard with current films, they've gone for effects over story.


Nicolas Cage makes the film, although I might be slightly biased because I think he's a good actor anyway. I've never seen Jay Baruchel in anything else, but he does a reasonably good job in this film, and Teresa Palmer is very good. Alfred Morina is not so hot, he reminded me of David Suchet as Poirot throughout the film, although his clothing doesn't help in that respect, but as a bad guy he's pretty wimpy and not very threatening.


As I said before the effects were good, particularly the eagle, and my kids enjoyed the wolves and puppies, although you'll have to watch to understand what I'm talking about there, because I don't want to give too much away.

For adults I'd give it a 6 of of 10, for kids probably an 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment